1. Where is the Maldives located? Which continent does it belong to?
2. How to get to Maldives from the US?
The distance between Maldives and the United States is about 15,381 KM and hence traveling by air is one of the most comfortable and quickest ways to reach Maldives. The average flight time between Maldives and the US is about 27 hours. However, the most popular route to Maldives from the United States is between New York and Male. Boarding a flight to John F. Kennedy International Airport will take you to the Velana International Airport, Male in approximately 21 hours. There are about 150 international airports in the United States helping you travel to your favorite holiday destination. Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, O’Hare International Airport, Fort Worth International Airport, Denver International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, and Seattle-Tacoma International Airport are some of the major international airports in the United States. Velana International Airport, North Male Atoll, Gan International Airport, Seenu Atoll, Hanimaadhoo International Airport, Haa Dhaalu Atoll and Maafaru International Airport, Noonu Atoll are some of the important international airports in the US. From the departure date, you are expected to have a passport that is valid for 6 months and proof of sufficient money to spend on your vacation. With this, you will be eligible for a tourist visa for 30 days which can be extended for 90 days.
3. How long is the flight to Maldives from the United States?
The most popular route to travel to Maldives from the US is by boarding a flight in John F. Kennedy International Airport will take you to the Velana International Airport, Male in approximately 21 hours.
4. How much is a trip to Maldives?
Depending upon your needs and luxury, you can choose and design an itinerary that suits you. Maldives tour ideally starts from INR 36,000 per person.
5. Is Maldives safe to visit?
Yes, Maldives is very safe to visit. The strict rules and regulations protect the country and try to abide by the laws when you are in Maldives.
6. What to do in Maldives?
Maldives is truly a treasure trove of excitement, fun, adventure and nature components. A perfect blend of everything Maldives is all about. However, there are a few things you should definitely experience in Maldives. Add them to your bucket list and you will have the most unforgettable experience.
Here are the top 10 things you must try at Maldives as a first timer
1. Sunset cruise – Witness the beauty of the archipelago island at a distance in the waters of the Indian ocean. Watch the orange sun fading across the blue horizon. Such a promising sight you will witness your whole life. Your one hour ride will be made exciting if you catch hopping dolphins on your way. Dhoni island is one of the best places to go on a sunset cruise in Maldives.
2. Glowing beach – Glowing beach by itself is a name of fantasy. Your late evenings could be made highly engaging by visiting this glowing beach. Situated in Vaadhoo island, this adds more spice to your beach holiday in Maldives. It appears to be like blue stars on the Maldivian stretch of sea. This is a bioluminescence activity due to microscopic phytoplankton floating on the surface of the waters. Make sure you visit here and click the best pictures under the starry night sky.
3. Spa treatment – Maldives is one of the best places to truly enjoy the essence of an exotic spa. Pamper yourself to the best spa treatments during your stay in Maldives. From a wide range of beauty treatments to therapeutic services, your strenuous muscles will have the best stretch here. Well-trained experts will ensure you have the best experience. From healing head massages to pampering pedicures, you will have a wide range of services to rejuvenate yourself amidst the Maldivian atmosphere. You will also have these massages done with different views – ocean view to pool view, happening to be a visual treat to your eyes.
4. Male island – Male island is truly one of the best expressions of Maldives. It has everything you expect from a tourist destination. This capital city has museums, galleries, an artificial beach, an endless number of shopping areas, and a boundless number of activities. Highly engaging, this city is often overlooked since every Maldivian traveler gets lost in the beauty of nature and resort while failing to recognize what Male island is all about. Try not to miss to include this city in your itinerary.
6. Dine in an underwater restaurant – This could be one of the best experiences you will ever have during your Maldives holiday. Surrounded by cute marine creatures, you will get a chance to relish the best Maldivian food here. The Ithaa underwater restaurant at South Ari Atoll is one of the best restaurants to experience underwater dining. Try not to click amazing pictures which will keep this amazing experience memorable always.
7. Seaplane ride – You will reach your resort by either seaplane or speedboat. Unlike other countries, Maldives is a beautiful stretch of islands where road transport is highly impossible. Hence, if you are given options to choose between seaplane and speedboat, choose seaplane. You will have the best experience to witness the beauty of the turquoise blue waters from above. And if you get a chance to experience both seaplane and speedboat, you should without a doubt choose to explore the best of your favorite destinations.
Party hard – When you read this – Maldives is a trove of favourite tourism components, it is not as justifying as the place itself. You will get the best out of a beach holiday in Maldives. In other words, you can never ask for a better place on the planet to celebrate your long craved beach vacation. Hit your favourite beach during the sunset hours and grab your favourite drink to bring the right amount of vibe into you. As the sun fades across the Maldivian horizon, shake your leg to the peppy beats orchestrated by a classy DJ on the golden sands of Maldives.
8. Candlelight dinner – And if you are on your honeymoon, this is definitely a must-do. Inform your resort that you are craving to surprise your better half with this candlelight dinner and you are sorted. Create frames of love amidst the loving atmosphere at Maldives. Relish a three-course meal and fall in love with the flavors of Maldives. Let all the 5 elements of nature witness the love you have for your partner.
9. Local villages – Throw a visit to nearby villages and get to understand how beautifully culturally bound Maldives are. You will behold a different version of Maldives you have never seen before. A blend of Indian, Sri Lankan, and African cuisine is all about Maldives food and it is definitely a must-try here. If you are lucky to visit this island nation during the local festivities, you will get to understand the fuller version of what Maldives culture is all about.
10. Water activities – Last but not least, it is these activities for which every Maldives traveler craves, gets addicted, and wants to get back again and again. The kind of adrenaline rush they give is simply amazing. There is an inexhaustible number of options available to choose from right from snorkeling to fishing to diving to catamaran sailing to wakeboarding to parasailing to kayaking to surfing to banana boating to jet skiing to paddleboarding to swimming. Try not to miss these in your itinerary.
7. Where to stay in Maldives?
If you are a first-time visitor, the confusion in choosing the best places to stay is real. There are just so many options for you to explore and each one feels better than the other. However, here is a list of top resorts that you could consider.
Constance Moofushi is one of the top resorts in Maldives. They have an endless number of amenities that keep you engaged throughout your stay. Located in the South Ari Atoll, this unarguably is one of the best places to stay. This resort is also widely known for its diving and snorkeling activities.
Amenities: Wifi, Snorkelling, Spa, Game room, Exotic food, Salon services, Diet menus, Beverages, Couples massage, Gym, Airport transportation, Canoeing, Poolside bar and much more.
Distance from Airport: 47.7 Km
How to Reach: Seaplane
Coco Bodu Hithi
This ideally is one of the best resorts, by all means, to stay in Maldives. The charm of the resort sets in your holiday vibe the way you wanted it to be. With the best variety in the 44 villas of Coco Bodu Hithi, it is one of the best options you will never regret choosing as a first-timer. With the best spa and restaurants, this is truly a piece of paradise.
Amenities: Canoeing, Finest spa, Hot bath, Private pool, Sauna, Snorkelling, Bar, Play area, Sun terrace, Salon, Gym, Complimentary tea, Variety in room types and room features, and much more.
Distance from Airport: 31.1 Km
How to Reach: Speed boat
Paradise Island resort and Spa
Paradise Island resort and Spa undoubtedly is the most booked resort in Maldives due to its all-inclusiveness and affordability. And this resort also happens to be the nearest to Male international airport. And the other way round it could be all-inclusive while being affordable. The amenities perfectly complement your family vacation.
Amenities: Pools, Free breakfast, Babysitting, Hot bath, Rental bicycle, Kids club, Snorkelling, Nightclub, Game hub, Bar, Spa, Salon treatments, Currency exchange, Massages, Meeting rooms, Shops and much more.
Distance from Airport: 9.6 Km
How to Reach: Speed boat
8. How many islands in Maldives?
There are about 1190 islands in Maldives out of which only 185 are inhabited. The rest is purely used for tourism purposes.
9. Is Maldives expensive?
Yes, Maldives is on the expensive side due to the kind of exotic holiday experience it gives. However, depending upon your budget, an itinerary could be crafted.
10. When is the best time to go to the Maldives?
Maldives is one of the best tropical countries in the world. Hence, the temperature is warm throughout the year making this place an all-around destination. However, depending on the time of the year you plan your vacation, it has its own pros and cons. Read through to figure out what suits you best.
Peak season – Maldives in December to April
It is the dry season in Maldives during the months of December to April. The temperature is around 24 to 31 degrees celsius. Ideally, during a sunny day, you will have a temperature somewhere around 27 degrees celsius on average. Out of these months, April is one of the most ideal months to enjoy an exotic beach holiday. The weather is ideally the best during this season. However, every favorite destination of yours is extremely crowded and hence you will not enjoy a serene holiday. The prices of the resorts and airfares are also relatively pricier during these months. But there could be no better season to enjoy water activities in Maldives if you miss visiting this place during these months. If you are fully determined to enjoy a luxurious beach holiday, there could be no better explanation for you to choose to visit Maldives during these months.
Shoulder season – Maldives in May to November
During the months of May to November, Maldives is called the wet season for the kind of rainfall it receives. September is one of the wettest months and pertaining to this reason, it is one of the cheapest months to go to Maldives. Visiting Maldives during May month is one of the best decisions you could make. This is the holy month of Ramadan in Maldives and you will get a chance to taste all the delicious delicacies. The prices are also relatively lesser – both resorts and airfares may give you some exciting discounts. The places are also less crowded giving you the utmost reason to visit this place. If you missed visiting this dream destination during the peak season, try not to miss visiting this place during these months.
Maldives truly is one of the best destinations to visit – be it a solo trip or family vacation or honeymoon. Everything you want about a beach holiday is just right there. Pickyourtrail offers an endless range of highly curated Maldives tour packages matching your travel taste. If you are a good planner, well, our customize button is just made for you. Customize every single line of your itinerary and celebrate your vacation in Maldives.